Saturday 4 January 2014

Resurrecting an old classic... MUTANT CHRONICLES: WARZONE


Back in the early 90's, Target Games released Mutant Chronicles: Warzone.

The setting was an instant hit with me - instead of countries, 'Megacorporations' have took over, leaving the Earth behind, setting up colonies on Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, using the Earth as their battleground.

Of particular liking to me were the Bauhaus and Imperial corporations - essentially Europe and Great Britain respectively.


The previous edition of Warzone 

Unfortunately, like with so many other games, it fell by the wayside and was cancelled.  There have been a few attempts since (one by Fantasy Flight Games which used repainted 'collectable' figures), but none that took my attention.

Until now...

Prodos Games have completed a successful Kickstarter Campaign which just before Christmas started delivering packs of rulebooks and miniatures to backers.

Without me knowing, my wife backed the Kickstarter through my local games store, Titan Games, and on Christmas Day, I was presented with a rulebook and the entire Bauhaus faction releases!

The rulebook is a full colour hardback, which is beautiful.  I've not yet read through the entire book, but it's well presented, full of detail and background of the Mutant Chronicles universe.  There are a few typos, but I'm sure these will be rectified in future printings, and don't detract from the reading.

The miniatures:
My Bauhaus Faction

I'm a wargamer of 30 years, and I've seen good, great and downright BAD miniatures in my time.  Prodos have done a great job on these.  Made from resin, they're nicely detailed, and have done a great job of updating the classic MC look.
Left: Prodos Etoiles Mortant, Right: Target Games Etoiles Mortant


There's very little flashlines or mould slippage to deal with (if any) and with a prime, they paint nicely.

I'm looking forward to playing the game, which now includes an innovative use of cards to add a further random aspect to the tactical choices made.

I'll chronicle my painting of these further over the coming months!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My first ever fan fiction!

  My First foray into fan fiction - a Battletech short story!  I've been wanting to write short stories for a while, but never really go...