Friday 9 February 2018

Necromunda - Bitten by the Bug!




Ah, new games..!

When the first Necromunda came out, I was in my early 20's, and loved it. I still have some of my original Orlock gangers, now stripped back from the frankly appalling paint jobs I gave them!
The original packing for the Gangs back in the 90's...

What remains of my 1st House Orlock Gang!




For those who don't follow the various games from GW, Necromunda is a skirmish level war-game, which can be played on a board (the Underhive) or on multiple levels (the Spires) giving a huge range of tactical options to the players.

Each player takes control of a Gang - of which there are six - chosen from the Noble Houses of Hive Primaris;

Escher - Mistresses of Poison and Drugs
Orlock - The House of Steel
Goliath - the Forgebrutes
Cawdor - The largest, and poorest House, religious fanatics
Delaque - Masters of intrigue and spy craft
Van Saar - Techno lords

Of the six, I've always gravitated to Orlock and Escher - they scream 90's metal bands to me, all leather coats, studs and BIG HAIR!

So, I've bought the main box, which contains both Escher and Goliath gangs (enough to start both), but this past weekend allowed me chance to purchase the new Orlocks early... a chance I didn't pass up!

The new Orlocks!

Flipping through different schemes, and looking at the minis, I wanted to paint mine in a way that would make them stand out a little.  Whilst I was looking at them, and browsing the internet, a film from 1988 was playing in the back ground... one of my all time favourites..

AKIRA.

An animated movie, based on a 2000 page Manga of the same name, AKIRA tells the story of a gang of biker youths in Neo-Tokyo, a hive of gangs, unrest and strange goings on... it was settled - I'd be painting my Orlocks to match the head of the gang - a youth named Kaneda:

Character study of Kaneda by Katsuhiro Otomo

In uncharacteristically short space of time, I've now got a fully painted gang! These have took me a little over 12 hours to paint, and I've enjoyed every minute of it!

The whole Gang! Love the Harpoon gun!
The Gang Leader - showing the 'pill' detail on the back of the jacket

The plan is to buy a 2 box when they're on full release to add in more weapon options, and then another box when the trailed weapon expansion packs are released.

In terms of building the minis, they're great to put together - there's enough scope to convert the gangers in multiple manners with little difficulty, and I can easily see ways to swap parts with the Cadian Imperial Guard kits, to allow for even further customisation.

Now to choose which Gang to tackle next - or do I do the Hired Guns?




1 comment:

  1. They look great! I have a thing for black/red colour shemes and you pulled this one off rather nice! What's your final highlight on the reds?

    ReplyDelete

My first ever fan fiction!

  My First foray into fan fiction - a Battletech short story!  I've been wanting to write short stories for a while, but never really go...