Sunday 6 April 2014

A Foray to Warhammer World...

Today, through an invitation from the Eldar painter extraordinaire  Nigel Bartlett, I went to a friendly club tournament at Games Workshop's Warhammer World venue in Nottingham.

I've not attended a tournament, event or even just played  at Warhammer World since 2010.  I've been there as a stop off for lunch a few times, but not to play.

Previously, when I worked in Nottingham, Warhammer World was almost a second home; as it was round the corner from my office I ate in Bugmans Bar on most lunches, and was an active member of the First Company Veterans (1CV) club, helping to organise and run many successful tournaments over the course of about five years.  I made a lot of good friends in my time there, but, as with many things, my time there was all too brief and when I changed jobs, my time at Warhammer World was over.

So going back for a couple of friendly games was a nice plan, one I looked forward to.

But I digress....

Warhammer World, Sunday, April 6, 2014

After meeting the rest of the team in the carpark, I was handed a rather fetching Polo Shirt with the WS10 logo emblazoned on the breast, and my name on the back!

My army was:
HQ 
Chief Librarian Tigurius,                  
Elites   
6 Sternguard Veterans; 3× combi-melta &heavy flamer, Veteran Sergeant with plasma pistol & power fist,
6 Assault Terminators; 3× 2 lightning claws; 3× thunder hammer and storm shield,
Troops           
10 Tactical Marines ; meltagun; missile launcher (frag missiles; krak missiles, Space Marine Sergeant; power fist; bolt pistol,
10 Tactical Marines; flamer; missile launcher (frag missiles; krak missiles).
Space Marine Sergeant; boltgun; bolt pistol,
6 Scouts; 5× sniper rifle; missile launcher (frag missiles; krak missiles); Sergeant Telion
Fast Attack  
Stormtalon Gunship; twin-linked assault cannon; Typhoon missile launcher;
6 Assault Marines; bolt pistols; plasma pistol; chainswords; Veteran Sergeant; bolt pistol; thunder hammer;
Heavy Support  
3 Devastator Centurions; twin-linked lascannon; 2× grav-cannon and grav-amp; 3× missile launcher (frag missiles; krak missiles);
Stalker; Icarus stormcannon array; searchlight; smoke launchers; extra armour. Vehicle (Tank).

And looked like this:

As it turned out, due to a few issues, I only got the one game in - against Tau...

Tau aren't an army I've faced for a god while, so were a bit of an unknown quantity to me - I'd forgotten how nasty they could be, with their marker lights and plasma weapons all over the place....!

Still, I put up a valiant fight, and did my best.  However, when the dice rolls are against you, no matter how well you plan it just won't work...

Things I learned from my game:
1) Tigurius is incredibly fragile.  As he doesn't have 'Eternal Warrior' as a special rule, nor an invulnerable save, he's prone to dropping like a stone on the first occasion he's shot at. Which he did...
2) Centurions scare people! No matter that I don't particularly care for the miniature, just their presence on the table scared my opponent into using them as target practice for pretty much the whole game - leaving my other squads free to move and grab the objectives early on (the fact that once they were destroyed it was open season on the rest of the army is moot...).
3) Stalkers aren't that bad, when you realise that Skyfire can be used against skimmers as well as flyers....
4) Riptides are hard - bloody hard, to get rid of.

Even though I lost 9vps to 3, I had a great game, and between Ade (my opponent and another member of the WS10 gamers club) and myself we didn't stop laughing throughout the entire game.

It was worth the trip, and the neverousness I felt at the idea of going was replaced by more good memories.

Thanks guys - I had a great time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My first ever fan fiction!

  My First foray into fan fiction - a Battletech short story!  I've been wanting to write short stories for a while, but never really go...