Wednesday 3 January 2018

A Brother's Hatred Runs Deep.... A New army for 2018!

Lorgar shifted in his seat, a throne fashioned from the bleached bones of his slain enemies (and some 'friends') creaked under the weight of the Chaos infused Primarch.

"So, Roboute has awoken from his long slumber... and not a moment too soon it appears" he mused, the knuckles of his right fist turning even whiter as he gripped the arm of the throne.

'Whilst I suspect that the guiding hand of our Lord Tzeentch may well be behind his miraculous recovery, it would be wrong of me not to welcome my brother back properly... After all, Mortarion has failed to deal with him, so as usual it is left to me to deal with our Fathers Favourite!'

Spitting out the the last few words, Lorgar rose from his carrion throne, with a grand sweep of his mutated arm, almost decapitating one of the many robed servants who attended to his every whim.  Calling for his most trusted Captains, Lorgar made ready to leave the safety of the Eye and venture forth into the world of Man to finally settle the matter of sibling rivalry set in motion some 10,000 years before....


Each year I try and choose an army that will be the main focus of my painting and modelling activities. Some years I'm successful (Last year's Eldar project that's now 4k plus a Phantom Titan and 2 Super Heavies) others not so (erm, last year's Space Wolves project that lasted... one model).

This year, I'm returning to one of my favourites - The Word Bearers!  I already have a large Horus Heresy themed WB army, so it seemed only right that I also added to this with a full on Chaos Marine force for the new(ish) 8th Edition 40k.

The rules of creating a project for me are pretty simple:

1) Do I have enthusiasm for the project?

2) Can I do the painting and modelling justice?

3) Can I tell a story with the army?

Well, in terms of the WB, I can answer all three with a resounding YES!  You'll notice that I don't ask myself 'Can I win with this army?' - this doesn't matter to me - if the army tells a story, and is faithful to the background then I'm happier than if it's a random mix of units designed to simply win games (which holds no motivation to me as a painter).

In order to approach the army in the right way, and not just buy random stuff until I can't move for kits (erm... I've never done this. Honest. Ok, maybe once or twice...) I've made some notes on what I want it to be:

1) It needs a Daemon Prince to represent Lorgar himself as there's no 40k model or stats for him...
3) Ideally, it needs to be possessed & Chosen heavy, to represent the fanatical zeal of the Word Bearers
4) Cultists! Lots of Cultists!
5) Not many Heavy Support units as the Word Bearers were all about having overwhelming numbers (at the height of the Crusade, it was said the Word Bearers were one of the most numerous Legions...)

With that in mind, I headed off to Warhammer World and bought from Forgeworld:

1) Lorgar
2) Zardu Layak (to use as a Dark Apostle)
3) A squad of Gal Vorbak
4) A box of Chaos Marines (which will be interspersed with parts from the Mks III and IV kits).

I started on Lorgar last night - just a couple of subtle changes to the 'core' model, as in the background, Lorgar doesn't undergo the huge changes wrought on Angron, Fulgrim or Mortarion...


And here he is - Lorgar, Prince of the XVII Legion, the Word Bearers!


The ultimate aim is to have 1500 points ready for the end of March, at which time I have been challenged to a grudge match by a certain Ultramarines Player... He will rue the day he uttered such a challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment

My first ever fan fiction!

  My First foray into fan fiction - a Battletech short story!  I've been wanting to write short stories for a while, but never really go...